Thursday, July 1, 2010

How Deep Are Your Roots?

     One thing that is growing great this year at my house is the flowers in my well. I have a real well in my yard. It has been cemented up with the exception of the hole that goes down to the water. I built a six inch wall of rocks around the perimeter of the top of the well. I then filled it in with dirt and I have tried to grow things in that dirt for three summers. Whatever I plant makes it for a short time and then dies. It never spreads out or grows, it just dies. There are two problems that are the contributing factors to the death of the plants of the well. One is that I don’t like to water (Dwayne: I'm glad I'm not a plant!). Two, it has to have water every day because the roots cannot grow deep and there isn’t much soil to hold the water. Finally this year, I planted moss. Moss can survive the lack of water better than other plants and as of now, I am very hopeful that I can keep my moss throughout the summer.
     It is important for all Christians to grow deep roots with the Lord. There are times in life that droughts hit. During those times it is important that our roots are deep and that they pull refreshment from God which keeps us from withering. Many Christians can bloom and look good for a while. However, they do not grow deep roots and as soon as the heat hits, they wither away and fall by the way side.
     Are you prepared for the heat droughts of life? How deep are your roots?

A farmer planted seed. As he scattered the seed, some of it fell on the road, and birds ate it. Some fell in the gravel; it sprouted quickly but didn’t put down roots, so when the sun came up it withered just as quickly. Some fell in the weeds; as it came up, it was strangled by the weeds. Some fell on good earth, and produced a harvest beyond his wildest dreams.
                                                                  Matthew 13:4-8

No comments: