Wednesday, October 6, 2010

It's Not Really Lost

     Tonight, Brittne and I went to the park to walk and run. She runs much faster than I do, so we go our separate ways until we are done. After almost four miles, we were finished, met up, and went walking to the car. Brittne asked me for the keys. I panicked because I didn’t remember her giving me the keys. I questioned her about her certainty because I had no recollection of having the keys. However, I know my memory gets me into a lot of predicaments, so I accepted the fact that my twenty-four year old daughter’s memory is better than mine. We figured that I had put the keys in the pocket of my jacket and they fell out when I was running. We each went different directions on the loop to look for the keys and agreed to meet up in the middle. When we met up, we discovered that neither one of us had found the keys. We agreed it was too dark to find them and started making a plan as to what we were going to do. Our purses and phones were in the car so we figured we were going to have to find someone with a phone and see if we could call Dwayne to bring us a key. I decided that since the key had the model of the car on it maybe someone dropped the keys off at the car. It was worth checking into. We did not find the keys around the car but for some strange reason Brittne reached over and tried to open the car door; it opened. The keys were in the car, along with all of our belongings! I must admit, I was more happy to know my mind wasn’t completely incompetent than I was to find the keys!
     Have you ever felt like you lost your relationship or your closeness or intimacy with Jesus? Often we go on a scavenger hunt to try and find something to help us restore our relationship. We frantically wonder, "Where did I loose it?" I heard great advice on this topic many years ago and have found it to be true and helpful. Jesus never moves away from us. We move away from Him. If you want to restore your relationship remember back to when you veered away from Him and return. Was it when He told you to do something and you ran the other way? Then return to Him in obedience and watch how fast you find what you have been missing. He hasn't left you, you left Him! Return with a repenting heart to the place you left Him and you will find Him there with open arms!

“But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him. “The son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’ . . . Let’s have a feast and celebrate. For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’
Luke 15:19-21, 23-24

No comments: