Thursday, October 7, 2010

Pull Up a Chair

How is your prayer life?  Are you comfortable talking to God?  Are you comfortable praying publicly?
      One thing that all new Christians struggle with is praying.  They are unsure how to privately pray and they are terrified to publicly pray.  Their reason for the struggle is always the same, "Everyone is so eloquent", or "their prayers flow so beautifully, I stumble over my words"!  Yet, to me, there is nothing more moving than a prayer from a child or a young Christian.  They are heartfelt and sincere. To me the most moving kind.
     I must admit to you that I am not into eloquent prayers.  It doesn't feel like me.  Nor do I connect with public prayer that is too eloquent, too rambling, or too personal.  Please forgive me if I sound judgemental.  Regrettably, I probably am.  If I am with someone that is going through a situation and we pray together, then I am very comfortable for them to pray whatever is on their heart no matter how personal it may be.  However, in a corporate prayer, when someone moves from the 'we' word to the 'I' or 'me' word, I start disconnecting.  It is like I am ease dropping on their private conversation.  
If my heart is not joined in with the corporate prayer, then one of two things is wrong.  My heart is not in the right place and I am not wanting to pray, or the person praying isn't praying from the heart but meerly saying impressive words.
     I remember a story I read many months ago.  A pastor went to visit a sick elderly man.  They began talking about prayer and the man explained that at one time in his life, he struggled with praying.  Then he started pulling up a chair and he imaged Jesus in that chair. He talks to Jesus as if he was physically sitting there.  He had been talking to the chair for many, many years. Not long after the pastor's visit, the man died.  The pastor went to visit the family.  He was talking to the daughter who stated that her dad had died in unusual position.  They found him knelt down by a chair with his head lying in the seat.
What a beautiful picture of what prayer should be like! Don't get wrapped up in the words, get wrapped up with the heart.  Talk to Jesus about what is going on in your heart.  Pull up a chair, pretend Jesus is sitting there, and just start talking!

And when you come before God, don't turn that into a theatrical production either.  All these people making a regular show out of their prayers, hoping for stardom! Do you think God sits in a box seat? Here's what I want you to do: Find a quiet secluded place so you won't be tempted to role-play before God.  Just be there as simply and honesly as you can manage.  The focus will shift from you to God, and you will begin to sense his grace.  The world is full of so-called prayer warriors who are prayer-ignorant.  They're full of formulas and programs and advice, peddling techniques for getting what you want from God. Don't fall for that nonsense. This is your Father you are dealing with and He knows better than you what you need.
Matthew 6:5-8

2 comments:

Mrs. T said...

I was that kid in school who got up to do a book report to the class and promptly fainted, when I looked up to see all the eyes staring at me. I sometimes stumble over my own words. I don't have a place or time that I do pray but when that little voice says a prayer is needed I offer it up to the Lord since he knows where it is suppose to go. I do thank him every morning for giving me another day. No matter how trivial we think it might be it matters to God. He is always there for us so we are never alone in our conversations.

Steph said...

I used to be afraid to publicly pray but I have become better about it. I do pray out loud with Kelly sometimes and when I pray privately I just talk to God like He is an old friend listening to me. I know He knows my heart and if my words don't come out right it is ok.