Monday, October 18, 2010

What Are You Hearing?

     Ever have God teach you something and then have it confirmed to you right after?  Yesterday, Dwayne was preaching on knowing God’s will. He stated that to know God’s will, you have to hear God’s voice. To hear God’s voice, you have to recognize it among all the voices we hear and sometimes listen to.
     An hour earlier the music team was trying to get their headsets balanced during practice. We have moved from monitors to ear sets that are run through the main sound system. At first, I was finding it a little comical as the drummer would say, “I need more guitar in my ear”, then “I need less guitar in my ear.” Others would need more or less of each of the three singers, or more or less drums and guitars. As the process continued, I began to think about how I wish I could wear a ear piece and tell someone to turn down all the noise of life and Satan, and to increase the volume of God so I could hear Him more clearly.
     In reality, I don’t get a spiritual ear piece. Sometimes, I wish God would yell over the other sounds but He doesn’t; He whispers. If you want to hear Him, you have to learn discipline. You are going to want to hear Him enough to quiet the noise around you. It doesn’t just happen, you have to want it!

Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go;
He's the One who will keep you on track.
Proverbs 3:6

1 comment:

Steph said...

It is funny that you are talking about hearing God above all the other noise. Yesterday Jared and I took a scenic drive and I was thinking it was very peaceful and pretty. I started thinking that often people go to the mountains, woods or a very quiet place and then have a huge life changing thing that they heard God tell them. I was thinking I guess that is because if you go somewhere quiet and really focus on God without the white noise of life then it would be a lot easier to focus and hear His will for us.