Tuesday, October 6, 2009

God's Calling

Another major step in my spiritual growth was dealing with my willingness to surrender to the Lord. By surrender I mean to sell my house, move my family, take my children to another state, and return back to the workplace because Dwayne sensed God was calling him to the ministry. I was so scared. It seemed God was asking me to give up everything I loved and I was digging in my heels. Dwayne was not going to drag me to the ministry. He gave me over to the Lord. He trusted that God would change my heart since He was the one calling us. I felt the tug at my heart but I did not want to surrender. We visited with a mentor couple about seminary and the pressure became stronger for me. I went to the car and for some reason Dwayne was still in the house. I was still struggling. I turned the car on and the following song was playing. The words pierced my heart as if God was speaking them to me directly from His mouth. I knew at that moment Dwayne was the kind of man that the song was speaking of and that God was calling him into the ministry. That decision was confirmed as we visited the seminary. It was there in a shabby hotel room that we knelt together and surrendered to the ministry. As you read the words below, ask yourself if you are the kind of person the song is talking about. Don’t let the gender reference deter you.

What this dying world could use is a willing Man of God
Who dares to go against the grain and works without applause;
A man who'll raise the shield of Faith, protecting what is pure;
Whose love is tough and gentle; a man whose word is sure.
God doesn't need an Orator who knows what just to say;
He doesn't need authorities to reason Him away;
He doesn't need an army to guarantee a win;
He just needs a Few Good Men.
Men full of Compassion, who Laugh and Love and Cry-
Men who'll face Eternity and aren't afraid to die-
Men who'll fight for Freedom and Honor once again-
He just needs a Few Good Men.
He calls the broken derelict whose life has been renewed;
He calls the one who has the strength to stand up for the Truth.
Enlistment lines are open and He wants you to come in-
He just needs a Few Good Men.

God needs you! Are you going to enlist?


For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
Ephesians 5:10

3 comments:

Steph said...

This reminds me of Colossians 3:23, "whatever you do, work at it as if you were working for the Lord and not for man."
There are times when I don't want to do things but I remember that verse and it gives me a renewed energy to do it with.

Sherry said...

I am the most thankful in this whole wide world that you surrendered. Where would I be? where would Ron be? probably another divorce statistic. And the world would be short 4 beautiful souls.......

Anonymous said...

It's a daily fleshly struggle, every day, to surrender to the obedience and will of God.I know also every minute, throughout my whole being, it's worth everything. Not only for me, but also to the people I show His love to.
I'm walking in Christ's footsteps. Hallelujah.
I Rejoice.