Saturday, October 10, 2009

Where is Your Focus?

I remember when my two children were small and we would hang out at the park. We usually went with friends who had children their same ages. I would sit on the bench and talk to my friends. Bryce would be off in the fort playing with the boys and Brittne would be sliding with the girls. As a young mother, it was my responsibility to watch them both. However, at times they would get so far apart that my scope of vision could not focus on both at the same time. I had to look over at one, and then look at the other. Sometimes, I would get so interested in watching the boys take charge of organizing the war strategies that I would forget for a while to look over and make sure the girls weren’t in the midst of a little girl argument. I felt torn between them, which should I watch.
We struggle this way in life too. We know we are to focus on Christ but the problems of life demands our attention. We separate the problems so far away from Christ we can’t focus on both, so we start the head bobbing thing. We look at one for a while and then give the other one its turn. Spiritually, it just doesn’t work. Jesus doesn’t want equal time to your problems. He wants your problems! They are His to deal with. All he wants you to do is focus on Him and He will take care of everything else. It is the essence of a song which was written 87 years ago, yet it could have been written yesterday.


Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
In the light of His glory and grace.


This is the answer to every problem. It is the nutshell of all teaching. This is the essence of walking the Christian life. If I could only have one song in my head to guide me through life this would be it. It reminds me that my only responsibility in life is to turn my eyes to Jesus. Where are your eyes focusing?

Michal Smith sings this song. It is very moving. Just use it as a quiet, worshipful time.

No comments: