Saturday, October 17, 2009

Where is Your Passion?

Today is Saturday, which for most Okie's mean OU football game day! Football is an acquired interest of mine but I must have an emotional connection to a team to really love it. Since, my son, Bryce went to OU, I developed that emotional connection with OU football. As we sit and watch the game with our OU attire, we experience a roller coaster of emotions. As some of you know, watching OU (especially this year) creates every extreme level of joy and frustration. Oklahomans have a passion for football! Every conversation for two days before the game and two days after the game will eventually center around an analysis of the game.
Last week, I met a wonderful woman from the Netherlands. Early in our introduction she grabbed my attention. Within a few minutes into our conversation she confidently declared she has a passion for Jesus. My initial reaction was taken aback by her boldness. But why is that? As a christian I admire her for her proud declaration. My first response should have been, "I too have a passion for Jesus"! Passion is the same as fervor, obsession, excitement, enthusiasm, zeal, craze and delight. Maybe I need to analyze my passion level? Maybe I need to be as excited about church as I am a game. Maybe I need to talk about Jesus as much as I talk about the way OU is playing! I pray that I will become more like my new friend and boldly declare that Jesus is my passion in life! Let's become passionate for Jesus together.

Jesus said, Love the Lord your God with all your passion and prayer and intelligence.
Matthew 22:37 (The Message)

No comments: