Monday, October 19, 2009

A Phone Call Away

Today definantly unfolded in a completely different way than I anticipated. Today is church day! As long as we are home, we attend church on Sunday. However, this morning all plans changed with a phone call. A young couple in our church, who doesn't have family close, had a bad car wreck in Arkansas and I had to go pick them up from the emergency room and bring them home. We are very blessed that they were not hurt, other than some soreness and bruises. The car was totaled, however the person who hit them had insurance so their car situation should be taken care of. As we talked on the way home, we discussed a phrase from a popular Christian song that we all loved and which seemed very apropos for today's situation. It states that we are one phone call from our knees. As a mother and a pastor's wife, every time I hear the phone ring, I must admit I feel a little apprehension. I know that life can change with a phone call and I do realize that each phone call can take me to my knees. Knowing this, I feel it is very important to live my life spiritually ready for any phone call. Each day I need to make sure my focus is on the Lord. I need to acknowledge that whatever may come throughout the day, it was filtered through the loving fingers of God. I have always been observant of how people respond to situations. Some panic immediately and seem to fall apart. Some see everything as a crisis with no hope. Some stay calm. They seek the Lord's plan and direction, and realize that He is in control and will take care of them. There is a saying I learned many years ago from a godly man that ask the question, "Are you circumstance controlled or spirit controlled?" We must let the Lord fill us with the spirit every day to be spirit controlled. What about you? If tomorrow you got a phone call that takes you to your knees, would you be prepared? Would you be circumstance controlled or spirit controlled?

1 comment:

Kathy Hitchcock said...

As I read your post floods of emotions came to me as I remembered how my family's lives were changed with one phone call over 3 years ago. The Lord is faithful even if you do fall apart and have your circumstance controlled moment (or two). Please understand, I'm not trying to argue with your post at all, I'm just being real and saying that even when you do have your circumstance controlled moments, God is still there loving you just the same. I too am very apprehensive when the phone rings but I have learned that it is true that even the really bad things in life are filtered through the loving fingers of God. What a picture!
Thank you Tonya for being faithful to share daily. You are such a blessing to me and my family! We love you!