Tuesday, October 20, 2009

How Is Your Memory?

For years now my memory has been playing games with me. Some days are worse than others. I hate to admit it, but it seems it may have something to do with my age. I have to work much harder to remember the things that use to come so easily. One thing I must work hard to remember is the works of God in my life. If I don’t, I can allow the pressures and problems of everyday life to affect me in a negative way. I can become depressed, question God’s faithfulness, waste time worrying, loose hope, or feel forgotten. It is very disappointing how fast we can forget the things God has done for us and what our lives were before God delivered us from our slavery to sin. However, it is easy for us to remember the stress and problems of today! That is not what God wants.
He wants us to always remember:

His work__His Word __His delieverance__His purpose for us

How can we ever feel forgotten when we remember God's faithfulness? How can we ever loose hope and worry? How long is your memory? Spend time today remembering the works God has done in your life. Make a written list and count your blessings.


I will remember the day of old; I mediate on all your doing; I ponder the work of Your hands.
Psalms 143:5-6

2 comments:

Jackie Webb said...

There are so many songs that "get" me. But one that ALWAYS pops right into my head is an old hymn, believe it or not! His Eye is on the Sparrow! For years I find myself singing that, sometimes just humming the tune, other times singing the lyrics! I dunno if it's a "bird" thing or not but I love nature and animals. Since we've moved to our home in Ft gibson, I've really enjoyed feeding the birds in my back yard. I've had some really neat sightings and they are amazing creatures to watch and listen to. A baby hummingbird got trapped in my garage recently, obviously overheated from trying to find his way out. I picked him up and put him in the palm of my hand. I stroked him and splashed cool water over him. I put his beak into the hummingbird feeder and he feverishly drank. He got better, well enough to perch himself on the feeder. Within minutes mama and daddy hummingbird joined him with their instinctive encouragment! I marveled! Look how God gave these tiny creatures such life. Oh, what He does for us. His eye is on the sparrow and I know he watches me!

Steph said...

I recently received an email that had a quote that said "We often take for granted what we should be giving thanks for." Cynthia Ozick? Not sure on the last name but anyway it reminded me that I needed to slow down and take a look at all the things I have to be thankful for and the blessings in my life. Sometimes the smallest things mean the most.