Thursday, October 22, 2009

Woman to Woman

As a Christian woman, okay, older Christian woman, there is nothing I love more than to get the opportunity to disciple a young woman. A new Christian has such a strong desire to learn God’s way. They are a sponge; wanting to soak it all in. They have an awe of God , and a freshness and excitement to His ways. They usually have no idea what a blessing they are to the “older woman”. They remind us of the joy of the Lord, that can sometimes fade over time. They remind us to never lose our eagerness to learn. They remind us that our lessons of life can be an encouragement to someone else. In the past few months, I have had two young married women say these words to me, “It is a great feeling to know that my marriage isn’t the only one that has these experiences. I didn’t know it was normal to feel this way.” We as women need to be growing in the Lord and we need to mentor those younger women. We need to share with them how God provides and delivers. We need to share with them how to be good wives and good mothers. Most importantly, we need to be an example for them follow. Ask the Lord to provide you an opportunity to mentor a younger woman or an older woman to mentor you. It is definitely a relationship that blesses all those involved.

Guide older women into lives of reverence so they end up as neither gossips nor drunks, but models of goodness. By looking at them, they younger women will know how to love their husbands and children, be virtuous and pure, keep a good house, be good wives. We don’t want anyone looking down on God’s Message because of their behavior.
Titus 2:3-5 (The Message)

Bid the older women similarly to be reverent and devout in their deportment as becomes those engaged in sacred service, not slanderers or slaves to drink. They are to give good counsel and be teachers of what is right and noble. So that they will wisely train the young women to be sane and sober of mind (temperate, disciplined) and to love their husbands and their children. To be self-controlled, chaste, homemakers, good-natured (kindhearted), adapting and subordinating themselves to their husbands, that the word of God may not be exposed to reproach (blasphemed or discredited).
Titus 2:3-5 (Amplified)

1 comment:

Steph said...

I will say that the first mentor I have had is my mom. She is a wonderful woman and has always been a great teacher. But other than her I was not exposed to anyone "older" as you say that was a Christian woman to lead as an example...that is until I came to Fusion. Tonya you remember how I was when I first came to womans Bible study and I was embarassed and shocked at the discussions we had because I always thought it was wrong to talk about those things or that maybe I was the only one feeling a certain way. The women of Fusion have helped me open up...I could still use a little work in that area but hey I will always be a work in progress. The Women of Fusion are like my Mom/sister/friends that I know if I were to have a problem that they would have kind and wise words and a shoulder were I to need them. I hope that some day I can be as good of an example as you all have been for me.