Friday, September 10, 2010

Changing Roads

     When we lived in Montana, we would drive home to Oklahoma several times a year. There are three roads to choose from to travel. One is through South Dakota; one is through Nebraska, and one is through Kansas. There isn’t five minutes difference, so Dwayne would usually leave it up to me. I would always answer any way but Kansas! The Kansas highway is extremely flat, straight, and void of changing scenery: in other words it was boring! On the other hand, living in Montana, I was blessed to see some of the prettiest journeys which included roads that had an occasional turn, hills and mountains to climb, and changing scenery. You would be looking up from the valleys at the mountains and then you would be looking down from the mountain tops onto the valleys. You would see Christmas tree farms, rushing rivers, and gorgeous, blue, still, clear lakes. You could see wildlife at any turn. These roads were much different than the predictable highway of Kansas.
     What kind of road is your life on? I sit here this morning on my first day of not being employed in many years. I do not know what my future holds but I am excited to see what is around the next curve and over the next hill. I feel as if I have left the Kansas highway and I am back on a Montana road. The best thing about it is that Jesus is driving. I am going to sit in the passenger side, as always, and see where He leads me.
     When Dwayne drove me through Kansas, I never thought too much about my dependence on the driver. I would forget that my life was in his hands. However, when we were driving some of those Montana roads, I would remember my dependency on the driver. When there was a cliff three feet from my side of the car, I was aware every second of my dependence on him.
     Spiritually, getting off my Kansas road and onto my Montana road already has created a deeper dependency on the Lord. He has already shown His sovereignty and I look forward to seeing where He leads me. I have always been dependent on Him but sadly, sometimes it takes some discomfort and uncertainty to increase our awareness and need of dependency upon Jesus.
     Whatever road you are on spiritually, live today with an increased awareness of your need and dependency on Jesus! God is sovereign whether we acknowledge it or not, but we sure save ourselves some stress and turmoil when we ride along in the passenger seat!

Lean on, trust in, and be confident in the Lord with all your heart and mind and do not rely on your own insight or understanding.  In all your ways know, recognize and acknowledge Him, and He will direct and make straight and plain your path.
Proverbs 3:5-6

2 comments:

Sareva said...

I've been where you are now, and I am currently 2+ years into not being employed with an outside company as a regular full-time employee. Not that I'm counting...really I'm not. Truth is I hadn't thought much about how long it has been until I read your post today. When I was laid off 7/31/08 it was the first time in my adult life that I had not had a job since I began working in 1983. It was a big change on so many levels, but I have not lacked for a thing. In so many ways, losing my job has been a blessing, and to my surprise, just what I needed for my soul. It is true, that we are having to watch our spending more carefully but I can honestly say God has met every single need and I continue to be amazed by how good He is to me. I know He is using this time to prepare me for something and that He has a plan for my life that is far better than I could ever think or imagine. I am excited to see what is around the curve and over the next hill for both of us. God is so good!

Steph said...

I am definitely on a Montana road. I think I am not in the passenger seat but maybe in the truck bed letting the wind blow my hair!