Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Taste and See

     Our first day in NYC we went to Carlo Bakery in New Jersey. It is the bakery of the show Cake Boss. I do not make cakes but I love this show. He makes the most amazing life-like cakes. It was really weird to be in a place I could tell you so much about but yet had never visited. I knew they filmed Buddy doing his consulting for cake orders in the noock with the table and chairs. I knew that up the stairs was where they decorate the cakes. I knew the hallway by the display counters is where they take phone orders. I knew who was who in the bakery and I knew the deliveries go out though the door to the alley. I also knew all about the things they bake. Besides cakes, they make a large variety of pastries. I can tell you how most of them are made, I know they are famous for their cannoli and their crumb cake. I could tell you all about how they make their crumb cake. They actually take the cake they cut away to shape a decorated cake and use it to make the crumb cake. I knew customers went crazy over their crumb cake.
     As much as I knew about the bakery, I could not tell you from a personal experience how anything tasted. I assumed it was wonderful and it looked wonderful but until I experienced it and tasted it myself, I could not truly know. I never thought I would like crumb cake. Now, after experiencing it, I can definitely tell you that it was totally amazing; along with the chocolate covered strawberries, the Italian cookies, and the cupcakes!
     Many people can tell you all about church, Christianity, and the Bible! They can verbalize scripture to you and tell you what they heard from the sermon. However, all of it is just head knowledge. They haven’t experienced the goodness of the Lord themselves. I am not talking about just the unbelievers but many Christians as well never apply and live out the things they learn. They do not personally know how the power of God in their life can taste. They live off the testimonies of others but they do not taste for themselves.
     Have you tasted the goodness of God today? When was the last time you feasted on the Lord?

Open your mouth and taste, open your eyes and see - how good God is.
Blessed are you who run to him.
Psalm 34:8

2 comments:

Sara said...

This reminds me of the famous saying "You can talk to the talk, but now walk the walk. There is much more respect for those that try to walk the walk and stumble than those that are all talk.

Until you've tasted one of God's blessings and miracles then you haven't lived!

Steph said...

I find that I experience God everyday even if it is a small thing. Those are often some of the most amazing moments.