Thursday, September 2, 2010

Follow?

     One thing I have been struggling with is making sure that I mean what I say. My actions do not always follow what I speak. With that as the content let me ask you a Question! Are you willing to follow God? Yes or No!
     Most of us would say yes. That is what we said when we became Christians. However, do we really mean it? Does our actions show what our words say? What does ‘follow God’ mean to you?
     Would you sell everything and go on the mission field if God told you to? Isn’t that always the big question we think? And we typically answer, “If God told me to I would!”
     Then we have to determine if and when God is telling us to do something and we have to learn how to hear God. Maybe I will address that in a later devotion. But there are a lot of things we don’t have to get personalized orders for. God tells us many things to do that constitute following Him. . It is clear that following God will lead us to obedience and will lead us to a closer walk with Him. Following Him is what makes us grow and mature as a follower of Christ. I have listed some of the ways God tells us following Him will entail. Though listing them may comes across as a list to please God, I do not believe that following God is about doing a list. God loves me and knows my struggles. However, that does not mean that we reap the blessing of following God by never doing anything or by growing. Following Jesus is following His teaching. Ponder each of the following questions and ask yourself if your action are showing what your words proclaim.
Would you invest time serving dependably in the body?
Would you forgive the person who hurt you?
Would you stop wanting what you don’t have and learn to be content?
Would you learn to love your spouse in a deeper more Christ like way?
Would you walk away from a career or a job if it was detrimental to your family?
Would you deal with your addiction to whatever you rely on more than Jesus?
Would you be a good steward of your monetary blessing and tithe to your church?
Would you be a good steward of your physical blessing and learn to take care of your body?
Would you spend time everyday talking to your Savior?
Would you read the Word that God has given you every day?
Would you look for ways to minister to those around you?
Would you learn how to get control of your thoughts and flush the ones that are not from Jesus?
Would you get rid of the activities in your life that do not bring honor to Jesus?
Would you learn how to share the salvation message?

There are many other things but this is probably sufficient for now! I am already convicted! So, now let me ask you a question. Will you follow God? Does your actions back your words? Will you do what He tells you to do? Yes or No?

Anyone who intends to come with me has to let me lead. You’re not in the driver’ seat; I am. Don’t run from suffering; embrace it. Follow me and I’ll show you how. Self-help is no help at all. Self-sacrifice is the way, my way, to finding yourself, your true self. What kind of deal is it to get everything you want but lose yourself? What could you ever trade your soul for? Don’t be in such a hurry to go into business for yourself. Before you know it the Son of Man will arrive with all the splendor of his Father, accompanied by an army of angels. You’ll get everything you have coming to you, a personal gift.
Matthew 16: 24-27

No comments: