Monday, September 27, 2010

How Clearly Can You See

     The day I turn fifty is getting closer every day. We are now less than two months. I am getting use to the wrinkles, the sagging, the natural hair coloring, the crazy hormones, the irregular monthly cycles, the forgetfulness, and of course the slower recovery from falls. However, the thing that is my biggest struggle is the need for my glasses to read anything. I have worn glasses since I was 16 years old. I never needed them to focus, I just needed them to keep my eyes from getting too tired and giving me headaches. I went months at a time without wearing them. My eye doctor explained that my eyes have to work extra hard to focus and the glasses gives them a break from working so hard. They also said that one day my eyes would stop struggling to focus and they would simply stop focusing on their own. That day has come. Today, I can’t find my glasses and I am typing my devotion without being able to read the words. Dwayne will have fun with his editing today! I can go through my day without my glasses as long as I don’t have to read.
     It reminds me of my need for Jesus. The older I get the more I realize my dependence on Him. The more I realize that I need Him on a daily basis. Everything is just blurry without Him.
     How many times have I gone through my day without taking Him with me? I need His Spirit every day to keep me focused on the work He has for me that day! Without Him, I can’t see clearly. Why would I want to go through life with everything blurry when I can see clearly with Him?

I lift up my eyes to the hills- where does my help come from?  My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth.
Psalm 121:1-2

No comments: