Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Darkness Is Scary

      Last night we drove to the lake to see some friends that were camping. After a while, two of my woman friends were going to walk to get ice cream, a little over a mile on a paved road. I borrowed a pair of walking shoes and off we went. When we got to the restaurant we stood in line for 35 minutes. It was light when got there, but after standing in line, it was dark outside. We kept hoping that someone would start to worry and come and get us but no such luck. We had worn glow sticks on our neck and wrist so we took off for our journey back. It was pitch black outside but between the passing cars and the glow sticks, we were making it fine. Then we reached a part of the road where the trees canopied over the street and the black got blacker. When it became so black that we could not see our feet things started to seem very scary. Wouldn’t you know it; this was the only time that no cars came by to shine light on our path. One friend kept asking, “Did you hear that?” We always answered no until we all heard a very loud rustle coming through the woods next to us. Though we fought off the fear that was pouncing on us, I assumed it was a deer. So, I screamed at it and waved my glow stick. I do not claim to be knowledgeable about nature and wildlife (Dwayne: Though I try to teach her!) but I am married to a wildlife fanatic and I have learned a few things from him. A deer should have run off. This sound became more intense and it was still coming towards us. We had no idea what it was and we did not stay around to find out. We did not run but we walked as fast as we could. All we wanted to do was to get to the light. The light would relieve the unknown and let us see our surroundings.

    Instantly, I realized how walking in the darkness can be an overwhelming experience. Yet, so many walk in spiritual darkness and they do not want to move to the light. I cannot imagine choosing to go through life living in darkness. The fear of what you don’t know or can’t see must be overwhelming.
      When you experience true blackness you appreciate the light. This world is consumed with darkness and Jesus is the Light of the world. In the light we see things clearly, fear is not escalated, and we can deal with reality and the unknown.
     Thank you Jesus for being my light, for helping me see clearly, and for lighting my path!

Walk in the Light . . . This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all. If we claim to have fellowship with him yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live by the truth. But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.

1 John 1:4b-7


1 comment:

Steph said...

I can just see you now waving that glow stick and screaming. HA! This post made me think of the children's church song...This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine.... :-)