Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Special and Unique

     One of the things I enjoy doing is making garters for friends when they get married. I have always hated the plain ribbon garters.  I make mine out of material and lace so both sides of the elastic is covered.  I think they are prettier this way. I made my garter when I got married and it has hung on my bedpost every day of our marriage as a reminder of our marriage vows and our love. Since I am not currently working, I have decided to start a business selling my garters. All the details of how we are going to distribute them has not been decided.  The first step is to make up a collection of garters. So, I am filling my time with sewing garters. I have thirty ready for handwork which I do by hand which can take up to two hours. It was challenging for me to make no two exactly the same. Though some may have some of the same material, or the same lace, or the same pearls, no two are put together the same.
    As I have been sewing, I think of how amazingly God made each of us. Though we may have the same color of hair, or color of eyes, or body build, we are all different. How did He make millions of people different? How did he knit each of us differently? How does He know each of us personally?
     We serve an awesome God!  He made you special and unique.  That takes a caring, loving God.  He could have used a cookie cutter and made us all the same, but He gave us each a special gift of being our one of a kind self! Praise Him for that!
Oh yes, you shaped me first inside, then out: you formed me in my mother's womb.  I thank you, High God-- you're breathtaking! Body and soul, I am marvelously made! I worship in adoration -- what a creation!  You know me inside and out, you know every bone in my body; You know exactly how I was made, bit by bit, how I was sculpted from nothing into something. Like an open book, you watched me grow from conception to birth; all the stages of my life were spread out before you.  The days of my life all prepared before I'd even lived one of them.
Psalm 139:1-15

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Tonya...I still have the garter you made for me 13 years ago. Thank you so much.

Steph said...

It is pretty awesome how we are each different. I think that one of the reasons is so we can help one another...where one is weak the other is stong kind of thing!!! I bet you are having a good time making garters!!! Sounds fun!